Followers

Monday 9 December 2013

Storm Damage

Hello my lovely friends I will be missing for a while and I just wanted to explain why as I will miss you and my creative outlet very much.

We live by the coast and last Thursday we were hit quite severely by a storm and a tidal surge (along with the highest tides of the year and the wind just happening to blow in the wrong direction at the wrong time).
We own a couple of businesses on the promenade and sadly we suffered some substantial damage.
Our Fish and Chip Shop/Restaurant was submerged under water but I'm pleased to say the recovery mission is well under way and with the help of a team of professional cleaners this should all be up and running again hopefully after Christmas.
Here is a photograph of the restaurant after the tide went back out. You can see the footprints in the slime/silt left behind and when I say its EVERYWHERE that is an understatement!!




Next door to this we have a surf shop, selling Billabong, O'Neill, Rip Curl and other brands, this was hit much more severely, with the force of the water breaking all the windows and ripping the doors off. The damage and destruction in here was much worse and at the time of writing we are still waiting on the loss adjuster to arrive re the insurance. Thousands of pounds worth of stock has been ruined, we just spent 3 days itemizing it all, it was heartbreaking!
Here is a photo, again after the tide had receded.


As if this wasn't enough, the shop was looted that night! I really don't know how some people sleep at night!!

So as you can see I might be busy in the coming weeks and card making and blogging might not be top of my agenda!! I have made a few cards that I'll hopefully get around to posting and if I don't get to visit you I'd just like to wish you all a very merry Christmas and a happy new year, I for one won't be sorry when this year is over!!

Love 'n' Hugs Laurie xx

21 comments:

Sharon said...

I am so sorry to hear your sad news Laurie. Such an awful thing to have to deal with and on top of that misery, to be looted. They truly are scumbags. I hope the clean up isn't too traumatising and that you can return to blogland soon.
Thinking of you.
Hugs Sharon. x

Kathleen said...

OMG

Kath x

mags said...

So sorry to read this Laurie. I totally agree with Sharon about the looters, total scumbags. Hope things go okay with the clean up.
Mags
x

Marianne's Craftroom said...

So sorry to read this, how awful for you and as for the looters, what can I say. Hope you get it sorted soon and get life back to normal, hugs x

Jayne A said...

OMG Laurie how awful!. I hope you get all sorted really soon.
Hugs
Jayne

Lucy Patrick said...

Oh Laurie that's so awful, I'm so sorry that's happened to you. I hope everything gets fixed up quickly and you can still enjoy your holidays this year, XOX Lucy

Kelly Lloyd said...

So sorry to read this Laurie
Hope everything is back to normal for you soon.
Take care
Kelly x

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

Laurie, I am so sorry that you have been very badly affected by the storms, and to think that some nasty piece of work has looted the remaining stock is unbelievable.

I do hope your business is up and running again very soon.

Sending you big hugs and best wishes for the future.
Sylvia xx

Loz said...

Oh Bugger! I hope you get your insurance and can be back in business real soon x

scrappymo! said...

Hope the adjuster gets this all sorted quickly! Sorry to hear that people would steal from the damaged businesses...Too sad!

Sally said...

Sorry to hear your news Laurie......hope you can get back in business ready for next season. Don't know what else to say :(
Sending big Hugs Sally xxxx

Zoe Tant said...

Oh Laurie sending hugs and speedy repair and sorting to you. So sorry that the surge hit you so hard. Zx

Jane said...

Oh Laurie, I do hope that you get this sorted quickly.
Sending hugs
Jane

Unknown said...

Oh Laurie, I wondered if you had suffered with the floods & sadly you were. Don't worry about crafting & blogging, we will still be here. You sort out your losses & get the businesses up & running again. Take good care & have a good Christmas & here's hoping 2014 is a better year xxx

Christine L said...

Oh NOOO Laurie.... BIG HUGS for you... I did think of you when I heard it was around that part of the coast and wondered if you were OK... but that is the point... YOU ARE OK... it's only 'stuff' that has been damaged - not you - and YOU are what is more precious to us.

You're going to have a tough time clearing up and setting it up again.. but try to have a good Christmas... and TRY to give yourself some ME time... it's good for the soul!!

Sounds like you certainly need 2013 to arrive soon!

Big hugs
Christine xxx

Marjorie said...

Awh Laurie!! I cannot imagine how you are feeling, this is just so sad.. So pleased that you and your family are ok. You take care and try to have a good Christmas:)
Will be thinking of you..
Love and Hugs,
Marjorie xx

Sarah-Jane said...

So sorry Laurie, mother nature can be very cruel sometimes. As for the looters, well I don't think I should put on here what I think of them!
I too will be glad once this year is over, hopefully 2014 will be a much happier year for us both.
Hugs,
Sarah-Jane x

cebelica said...

Oh my goodness, this is terrible. It's only good that you are safe. I hope things will get sorted out soon! Hugs! xx

Claire said...

OMG Laurie - I have only just read this post as have not been blogging. You must be absolutely devastated hun and I cannot believe people looted your shop either - heartless b*****ds!!! Sending huge hugs and love your way and hope you manage to get this all sorted very soon. Not want you need right now and just before Christmas. Hugs, Claire xxx

Sue U said...

Gutted for you :-( Hope that you get it sorted soon xxx

Sue U said...

Gutted for you :-( Hope that you get it sorted soon xxx